Water, Water Everywhere - and I am still not quite sure how to do it!

I have reached the final, 4th plate of the 2016-2017 panel and experimenting with ways to depict the Whanganui river in New Zealand, that now has the same legal rights as a person: drawing, collage, painting, printing and looking for inspiration from the way water is represented in Japanese art.


I am finding this element of the panel very tricky indeed as I don't want the approach to look too mannered and I also don't want to repeat methods I have already used. I will keep testing ideas. Slow as always, but perhaps this is one of the points of the work: marking time.




























Fig. 1. Ogata Kōrin, Red and White Plum Blossoms, Edo period, 18th century

Fig. 2.Tour of Waterfalls in Various Province, Hokusai

Fig 3. Masculine Waves, ceiling panel Hokusai

Fig. 4 & 5. Landscape with the Sun and Moonjûyô-bunkazai, unknown artist, mid-16th century, Kongôji (Ôsaka Prefecture)

Fig 6 & 7 Star Festival, Kayama Matazo: The incredible detail in this modern painting / collage is very beautiful and decorative - and very difficult to replicate with a Rotoring pen and with limited time! It would be great to see an original copy, a trip to Japan one day.

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#IIC Michael Geddis

#IIC Nature and Us: a history through art